California Testing in 2014
General Updates for the California Smarter Balanced Field Test
- Review some important tips and reminders, based on common questions received through April 9 in California.
- Download the new Session ID & Test Selection Instructions for distribution to Test Administrators in your LEA.
- The secure mobile browser 2.2 for the iPad is available on the App store. This update is not required, but is strongly recommended and will improve students' testing experience. Additional information is available on the announcement about the Secure Mobile Browser 2.2 for the iPad.
California local educational agency (LEA) testing coordinators can use this Web site to find helpful information, instructions, training, forms, and external links for the 2014 test administration.
LEAs are administering two types of tests in 2014:Computer-based Smarter Balanced Field Tests:
- English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics—grades 3–8 and 11 (some schools will also test grades 9 and 10)
- California Standards Tests (CSTs) for Science—grades 5, 8, and 10
- California Modified Assessment (CMA) for Science—grades 5, 8, and 10 who meet the eligibility requirements to take this instead of a CST for Science
- California Alternate Performance Assessment (CAPA) for Science—grades 5, 8, and 10 who meet the CAPA requirements
- CAPA for ELA and Mathematics—grades 2–11 who meet the CAPA requirements
- CSTs for students in grade 11 participating in the Early Assessment Program
- Standards-based Tests in Spanish (STS) for Reading/Language Arts—grades 2–11 (voluntary)