California Testing in 2014
General Updates for 2014 CAASPP Administration
- Review some important tips and reminders, based on common questions received through April 16 in California.
- Please wait until all scorable materials for a test administration from the schools in your LEA have been received at the LEA before shipping scorable materials. See page 35 of the 2014 LEA and Test Site Coordinator Manual for the Spring Administration for additional important points regarding the return of scorable paper-pencil testing materials.
- Recent Field Test Webcasts—The CDE Presents: “It's Field Test Day”, Online Reporting System Guidelines, and Guidelines for Submitting Appeals—are now archived in a link on the Field Test Videos and Resources Web page.
- The recently released version 34 of the Chrome operating system may result in the secure browser not appearing on managed Chromebooks. Look under the “Known Technical Issues” tab on the California Field Test Portal for resolution instructions.
California local educational agency (LEA) testing coordinators can use this Web site to find helpful information, instructions, training, forms, and external links for the 2014 test administration.
LEAs are administering two types of tests in 2014:Computer-based Smarter Balanced Field Tests:
- English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics—grades 3–8 and 11 (some schools will also test grades 9 and 10)
- California Standards Tests (CSTs) for Science—grades 5, 8, and 10
- California Modified Assessment (CMA) for Science—grades 5, 8, and 10 who meet the eligibility requirements to take this instead of a CST for Science
- California Alternate Performance Assessment (CAPA) for Science—grades 5, 8, and 10 who meet the CAPA requirements
- CAPA for ELA and Mathematics—grades 2–11 who meet the CAPA requirements
- CSTs for students in grade 11 participating in the Early Assessment Program
- Standards-based Tests in Spanish (STS) for Reading/Language Arts—grades 2–11 (voluntary)